Whether you’re an avid follower of tennis or not, pretty much everyone will have heard of Wimbledon. The much anticipated three weeks dominates all of the UK’s media, including the BBC. It also welcomes the return of Clare Balding and Sue Barker to our screens, gracing us with their wit and charm and by the end of the event, we’re all praying for good weather for them!
Founded in 1877, the sporting event has grown to become a staple event in the UK, which is thanks to its evergrowing popularity in Britain and around the world. Attendees have to be very quick with trying to grab a golden ticket for any of the matches. However, ticket prices for games on Centre Court are unthinkable to most, and this usually means that many people will make their way up to what is famously called “Henman Hill” to try and find a spot to watch all of the action from there.
This year, the total prize fund is a huge £31.6m, with the winner of the men’s and women’s singles taking home £2.2m each! What’s great about Wimbledon, is that even if you lose in the first round, you’ll still take home some sort of prize, this year they’ll be taking home £35,000. This has trebled since 2011, when first round losers would win £11,500. That has made everyone in our office want to become a professional tennis player!
What makes Wimbledon stand out from every other sporting event is somehow, it appeals to absolutely everyone. It brings people together and they all get into the competitive spirit, supporting our athletes and also players from around the world. It’s a fantastic day out for the family, for you and your friends, it’s also great to go with your partner. You can even go and watch on your own and chat with other people there.
When a lot of people think of Wimbledon, the first thing they think of is a big, ice cold jug of Pimms with some fresh strawberries and cream. That’s what makes Wimbledon so quintessentially British. It’s sophisticated, it has delicious food and drink and it turns a sporting event into a tradition for the whole country. For most people, it’s the official start of summer and some will even adopt the Wimbledon diet for the next few months – as long as the weather is good enough for it!
Here at Workwear Giant, we’ve had the pleasure of embroidering some of the Wimbledon uniforms and we’re really pleased with how they’ve turned out. From the initial order, to the design of the world-famous logo, to the production on our embroidery machines, we’ve made sure to put love and care into every stitch. Just like each order we receive every day!
If you feel inspired whilst watching Wimbledon and want to try your hand at the sport, or if you’re a club looking for uniforms, we’ve got the perfect attire for you!
For women we’ve picked:
- The Sprio ladies skort, which is perfect for playing tennis. They’re fast drying, lightweight and breathable with integral sport pants. They have a flat elastic waistband, contrast fit panels and a hem vent for maximum comfort.
- The Result Herringbone Sun Visor. If the sun is shining, the last thing you want is the sun shining in your eyes when your opponent is hurling a ball towards you at 50+ mph! It’s easily adjustable so it’ll fit you perfectly. There’s also a towel backing on the front so it’ll catch and absorb all of your sweat.
- The Kustom Kit contrast polo. It comes in several different colours, and is also available in the famous “tennis white”, so your kit will all be matching. Having the contrast means that you’ll have a hint of colour too!
For men we’ve chosen:
- The AWDis mesh lined shorts. These shorts are perfect for tennis because they’re specifically designed for keeping you cool in the hot weather and when you’re out in the sun. They even have a small side pocket for you to keep your keys in, meaning you’ll be able to keep everything safe while you play.
- The Adidas performance cap. Like the visor, this Adidas cap will keep you protected from the shining sun and will absorb your sweat as it has a moisture wicking headband.
- The Henbury contrast polo. Again, we’ve chosen a contrast polo because it’s nice to have a subtle hint of colour when you’re wearing all white. It’ll help you stand out a little bit and feel a bit more unique against your opponents!
All of these items can be personalised, so make sure you speak to our sales team if this is something you’d be interested in.
At the time of writing, Roger Federer was the bookies favourite to win Wimbledon. It would be his first win since he took the title in 2012, before he suffered from his injuries.
Here are the odds for the winners of the men’s and women’s singles, taken from oddschecker.
Roger Federer – 9/4
Andy Murray – 7/2
Rafael Nadal – 9/2
Novak Djokovic – 6/1
Petra Kvitová – 5/1
Karolína Plíšková – 11/2
Johanna Konta – 12/1
Garbiñe Muguruza – 14/1
At Workwear Giant, we pride ourselves on a fast and secure delivery, every time. We do all of the work in-house, using our state-of-the-art equipment, this means we will be able to meet your requirements and deadlines on time. If you need your personalised clothing as soon as possible, then make sure to tell our sales team when placing your order, we often work miracles and can usually shuffle our production schedule to fulfil your needs. If you want any more information or are interested about ordering our fantastic pick of the week, then drop our sales team an email at email@example.com or give us a call on 0118 9120 420